Friday, September 30, 2011

God wants to make an appointment with YOU

Even though I’m not a Jew, my church incorporates the Hebrew teachings of Jesus and we celebrate the feast days just like Christ did. “And the LORD spoke to Moses, saying, “Speak to the children of Israel, and say to them: ‘The feasts of the LORD, which you shall proclaim to be holy convocations, these are My feasts.” (Lev 23:1-2). So we celebrated Rosh Hashanah (the New Year) this Wednesday and now we are in the 10 days of Awe (this is the second day).

The 10 days of Awe is a historic time in Judaism where the children of Israel did a lot of introspection and repentance. It is a time of prayer and fasting. How fervently they sought God during this time determined what God would seal in His book concerning their lives for the upcoming year. This is the time when God makes decisions such as whether a person has success or failure, blessings or curses, life or death, etc.

However, God does not sit in Heaven like some spiritual Santa Clause and say Rhonda has been naughty this year so I’m going to give her a hard time next year. No, even if Rhonda has been naughty or made mistakes there is hope. God gives us these 10 days of fasting and prayer. I can repent and get things right with God. Repent means to turn away¸ so I can turn completely away from sin. It doesn’t mean I am not going to be tempted by it, or even make a mistake. Repentance means that I am intentionally seeking not to do those wrong things. I have completely turned away from them. I have recognized my error and put forth the effort not to walk in error. It means that I look to God to equip me with strength when I’m weak

Our Pastor teaches that the feast days are special to God. It is a time where He personally visits each and every one of His children. You know sometimes God may feel far away in outer space. However, this one of the times He promises to make an “appointment” with you.

So your success for the upcoming year is dependent upon you seeking God. You have to think on things that have occurred over your life this past year and seek God to improve your circumstances.

Some people have made life altering decisions that were not in the Plan of God. However, God has grace; there is nothing too hard for God. Whatever “mess” you got yourself in during the past year God Himself can deliver you out of it.

He just wants a heart truly turned to Him.

No comments:

Expect only the best

     In life we are often afraid to expect the best in life.   We think we may get our "hopes up" only to be let down in a major w...