Thursday, September 27, 2007

Degree in homemaking

I recently read an interesting article about Southwestern Baptist Theological Seminary offering a homemaking degree exclusively to women. Some critics have argued that the program is a misuse of seminary resources. Personally, I find the concept patriarchal and sexist because it reinforces the belief that women should remain confined to traditional gender roles.

There is nothing wrong with a woman choosing to become a homemaker. Homemaking is valuable work, and women who freely choose that path should be respected. The problem arises when religious institutions imply that homemaking is the primary or most appropriate role for all women.

What if I want to lead a Fortune 500 company? What if another woman wants to become a physician, attorney, theologian, scientist, or political leader? What is wrong with a woman using her talents and ambitions beyond the home?

Women should not be taught that their faithfulness to God depends upon fitting into one narrow definition of womanhood. A woman should be free to pursue homemaking, corporate leadership, ministry, education, or any other calling without being treated as though her choices make her less feminine or less faithful.

No comments:

Administrative Burden and Shadow Work: Why Simple Tasks Feel So Complicated

I am piggybacking on my previous post, “Why Does Everything Require So Much Follow-Up?” Researching this topic gave me language for experien...