Tuesday, February 1, 2022

Zeal without knowledge is dangerous

“It is dangerous to have zeal without knowledge, and the one who acts hastily makes poor
choices.”

—Proverbs 19:2

I am naturally an optimistic person. I believe the Bible, and I have tremendous faith in what God can do. However, because I have not always understood how God operates, or the lessons He may be teaching me through different seasons of life, I have sometimes found myself disappointed when things did not fall into place the way I expected.

I am learning that faith should never replace wisdom.

Wisdom teaches us how to plan, when to act, and how to prepare for what we are asking God to help us accomplish. We may have a God-given vision, but Scripture also tells us that a vision is for an appointed time. Having faith in the vision does not mean ignoring the process required to fulfill it.

For example, a person who has just graduated from high school may feel called to become a doctor. However, that person cannot simply “step out on faith” and begin treating patients without proper training. The calling may be real, but preparation is still necessary. They must complete years of education, supervised practice, and rigorous training before they are qualified to care for patients responsibly.

The same principle applies to my own life.

God has shown me that some of my greatest disappointments came from failing to think realistically. I had faith, enthusiasm, and good intentions, but I did not always have enough knowledge, preparation, or understanding of the process.

Within some faith communities, realistic thinking is treated as though it is the opposite of faith. People may be accused of doubting God simply because they are considering the facts, counting the cost, preparing carefully, or acknowledging possible obstacles.

However, realism is not necessarily faithlessness. Realistic thinking helps us understand where we are, what resources we have, what preparation is required, and what steps we need to take next. Faith gives us the courage to believe that progress is possible, while wisdom helps us move toward that progress responsibly.

Zeal without knowledge can be dangerous.

We cannot consistently build success through optimism alone. We must work, learn, prepare, adjust, and persevere. Some New Age teachings suggest that we can achieve success primarily through thought, intention, or manifestation. Likewise, some Christian teachings can wrongly present faith as a substitute for preparation and disciplined work.

But biblical faith is active.

Faith does not eliminate planning. Faith gives us the courage to make a plan.

Faith does not eliminate preparation. Faith strengthens us throughout the preparation process.

Faith does not require us to deny reality. Faith allows us to face reality while believing that God can guide us beyond our present circumstances.

Optimism says, “Everything will work out exactly as I imagine.”

Realistic faith says, “I believe God can lead me forward, and I am willing to gain knowledge, prepare wisely, do the necessary work, and follow His direction.”

That is the balance I am learning: believing deeply while thinking clearly, planning responsibly, and respecting the process.

No comments:

The God Who Rearranges Our Life

I have seen that God is the God who rearranges things. So often, I become worried when I cannot see the final outcome. I look at the circums...