Saturday, August 29, 2026

Is the Body of Christ against Ordinary Decision Making?

I have noticed that in some church environments, ordinary decision-making can become almost spiritualized out of existence. Instead of observe, think, gather information, weigh the consequences, and choose, the expectation becomes pray until God reveals the right answer. Dreams, prophetic words, signs, impressions, and even coincidences can then be treated as superior to reasoning and wisdom.

I used to believe that praying until God revealed the right answer was the biblical approach to making decisions. I thought that was supposed to be my default setting as a Believer. If I had a major decision to make, surely there was one correct answer already determined by God, and my responsibility was to pray until He revealed it to me.

However, the more I study the Bible, the more I notice how much time Scripture spends teaching people how to think and live wisely. There is an entire book, Proverbs, filled with instruction about wisdom, understanding, consequences, and decision-making. That suggests something important: we are not merely expected to receive answers; we are expected to develop wisdom.

This has made me think about our desire for quick and certain answers, particularly answers that originate outside of ourselves. Developing wisdom takes time. It requires studying Scripture, observing life, learning from experience, and sometimes learning from our mistakes. Being told the answer is much easier.

Perhaps this desire for certainty helps explain why some believers become fascinated with people and practices that promise access to hidden knowledge. Outside of Christianity, people may consult horoscopes, psychics, mediums, or practitioners of various mystical traditions. Within Christianity, the same human desire for certainty can potentially appear in a different form: constantly seeking personal prophecies, signs, supernatural confirmations, or a prophetic “word” telling us what is going to happen next.

And this raises a question that may be uncomfortable but is worth considering:

When Christians begin looking for a new prophetic word every day to tell them what will happen, what decisions to make, whom to trust, or what season they are entering, can prophecy begin to function psychologically in the same way that a daily horoscope functions for someone else?

I am not saying that prophecy and astrology are the same thing. Biblically, they clearly are not. I am questioning our relationship to them.

Have we become so accustomed to seeking supernatural information that we have unintentionally diminished wisdom?

Perhaps before asking, “God, reveal the answer to me,” we should sometimes ask, “God, have You already given me enough wisdom to make this decision?”

Because maybe the goal of spiritual maturity is not to need a supernatural answer for every choice.

Maybe it is to become wise enough to know what to do with the knowledge, understanding, experience, and freedom God has already given us.

No comments:

Is the Body of Christ against Ordinary Decision Making?

I have noticed that in some church environments, ordinary decision-making can become almost spiritualized out of existence. Instead of obser...