Monday, August 24, 2026

What Is Prophecy? Are We Confusing Prophecy With Predictions?

Over the years, my understanding of prophecy has begun to change. I have listened to countless prophetic messages, heard people declare what God supposedly revealed about someone's future, and witnessed ordinary life events celebrated as the fulfillment of prophecy. Yet, the more I examine these experiences, the more questions I find myself asking about what prophecy actually is.

What does it mean to receive a revelation from God? How do we distinguish divine knowledge from human intuition, personal desires, observations, or predictions? And when someone accurately predicts a future event, does that necessarily mean God revealed it to them?

These questions have led me to consider something that I believe deserves greater attention within the Body of Christ: Have we begun confusing prophecy with predictions?

There are people who identify themselves as prophets, but much of what they communicate appears to be predictions about what may happen or statements about what is possible. Their knowledge may originate from their own minds, experiences, desires, observations, or spiritual interpretations. Yet they present that information with the certainty of someone who has received it directly from God.

I am not suggesting that God cannot reveal future events. Rather, I am questioning how we determine whether a particular message actually originated with Him.

Because there is a significant difference between believing something will happen and knowing that God has revealed it.

No comments:

Why Won't God Answer Me?: Maybe He is Teaching Me to Think for Myself

As an educator, I have encountered something in the classroom that has caused me to reconsider how I approach God. Sometimes a student will ...