Monday, July 15, 2019

Dealing with Distractions: Disengage your Enemy

“Let the peace of Christ rule in your hearts, since as members of one body you were called to peace.”
—Colossians 3:15

Recently, I had my first encounter with an internet troll. I consider myself a positive person, and when I am online, I try my best to avoid unnecessary negativity.

One morning, I was responding to someone’s thread on a message board when a woman—who already had a reputation for being argumentative—decided to challenge something I had written. I responded to her as positively as I could, but she came back with even more hostility.

At that moment, I felt the Lord telling me not to respond again. However, I wanted to prove that I was right and win the argument. Instead of walking away, I continued replying, and we went back and forth in a pointless exchange.

I finally stopped responding when she admitted that she had only replied to me to “stir things up.” In other words, she was simply bored and looking for an argument.

Although the exchange had ended, the rest of my day felt completely off track. I realized that I had spent the entire morning arguing with a stranger online. That was the same time I usually devoted to prayer, reading my Bible, and seeking God.

Then it became clear to me: I had allowed a meaningless distraction to take the place of something spiritually valuable.

I had been given the opportunity to protect my peace, but instead, I chose to defend my pride. I wanted to prove my point, yet the argument produced nothing but frustration and wasted time.

From now on, before I even press the power button on my laptop, I want to give God the first part of my day. Prayer, Scripture, and time in His presence deserve priority over internet debates that lead nowhere.

Not every comment requires a response. Not every disagreement deserves our energy. Sometimes protecting our peace means refusing to participate in confusion, even when we know we are right.

When the peace of Christ is ruling in our hearts, we do not have to win every argument. Sometimes the greatest victory is simply walking away.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I do not even know the way I ended up here, however I thought
this publish was great. I do not realize who you might be however definitely you're going to
a well-known blogger in the event you are not already. Cheers!

Anonymous said...

Hello! Someone in my Facebook group shared this website with us so I came to give it a look.
I'm definitely enjoying the information. I'm bookmarking and
will be tweeting this to my followers! Outstanding blog
and outstanding design and style.

Anonymous said...

These are really impressive ideas in concerning blogging.
You have touched some nice points here. Any way keep up wrinting.

Anonymous said...

I tend not to drop many comments, however i did a few searching and wound up here
"Dealing with Distractions: Disengage your Enemy". And I do have a
couple of questions for you if it's allright.

Is it just me or does it give the impression like some of these comments
appear like coming from brain dead individuals? :
-P And, if you are writing on other online sites, I would like to follow anything new
you have to post. Would you make a list of every one
of all your community pages like your Facebook page, twitter feed, or linkedin profile?

Anonymous said...

I saw a lot of website but I believe this one has got something extra in it.

Miss Rhoadie said...

Thank each and every one of you for your kind words.

Interpersonal Strategy in Life

“Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all thy getting get understanding.” — Proverbs 4:7 (KJV) A skill that is ve...