I remember being in my twenties and praying, “God, what is Your will for my life?”
I expected there to be one correct answer, one career, one husband, one place to live, and one path designed specifically for me. I believed my responsibility was to discover that path and remain within the will of God.
However, God never answered me in an audible voice. He did not reveal a blueprint in a dream, send a prophet to tell me what to do, or have a pastor outline the plan for my life.
As I have grown older, I have begun to question whether this kind of predetermined blueprint even exists.
I no longer believe God has chosen one specific career, spouse, or location for every person. I believe He gives us wisdom, freedom, abilities, and opportunities and then allows us to make choices. There may be several paths we could take and still live meaningful lives that honor God.
The Importance of Self-Discovery
Instead of trying to uncover a hidden divine script, we should take the time to discover ourselves.
Who are you? What are your passions? What do you enjoy? What do you strongly dislike? What are your convictions? What kind of life do you want to build?
Our answers may change as we gain knowledge and experience. That does not necessarily mean we have stepped outside the will of God. It may simply mean we are growing.
Through self-discovery, I learned that I value entrepreneurship because I want autonomy and control over my time. I discovered that I have a passion for helping women build the lives they have dreamed of living. I recognized my love for research, whether I am studying human biology, tracing my family history, or learning about an ancient civilization. I also discovered that I enjoy teaching because knowledge can help people unlock new possibilities for their lives.
These passions did not arrive as instructions from heaven. I discovered them by paying attention to myself.
Perhaps the better question is not, “God, what exact life have You predetermined for me?” Perhaps it is, “God, give me the wisdom to make good choices with the life, abilities, opportunities, and freedom I have been given.”
We do not have to live in fear that one imperfect decision will remove us from the hands of God. Life is dynamic. We learn, choose, adjust, and sometimes change direction. God can remain present with us throughout that process without having scripted every detail in advance.
No comments:
Post a Comment