We live in a world that values comfort, convenience, and immediate results. Modern technology has made our lives easier in countless ways, and we have grown accustomed to finding quick solutions to everyday problems.
But I wonder whether our pursuit of comfort has caused us to view discomfort as something abnormal rather than a natural part of life.
Every day will not be sunny. Some days are rainy, and others are stormy. Yet rain is necessary for growth. Without it, our crops would wither and our rivers would dry up.
Why, then, do we expect our personal lives to be exempt from difficult seasons?
We want problems resolved quickly, dreams fulfilled overnight, and discomfort eliminated as soon as possible.
Unfortunately, I believe this expectation has also influenced how some Christians approach God. We sometimes treat Him like a magical genie, expecting Him to wave a wand and remove anything that threatens our comfort.
But is that what Christianity actually teaches?
Sometimes the Mountain Doesn't Move
When I began seriously studying the Bible at twelve years old, I was particularly fascinated by Mark 11:23, where Jesus spoke about commanding a mountain to be cast into the sea.
I took that Scripture to mean that whenever I encountered a problem, I simply needed to speak to the mountain and command it to move.
But as I grew older, I discovered something.
Not every mountain moved.
Some problems remained despite my prayers. Others required patience, effort, wisdom, and perseverance.
Eventually, I began to understand that faith does not mean every obstacle will disappear simply because we command it to.
Even the apostle Paul prayed repeatedly for his thorn in the flesh to be removed, yet God told him that His grace was sufficient (2 Corinthians 12:7–10).
Sometimes the obstacle is removed. Other times, we must learn to work through it.
Growth Takes Time
Consider our fascination with overnight success. We celebrate people who seemingly become successful overnight, rarely acknowledging the years of preparation, sacrifice, and setbacks behind their achievements.
Building wealth may take decades. A dream that only you believe in today may not become reality for another twelve or twenty years.
Consider a neurosurgeon. Becoming one requires approximately fourteen to sixteen years of education and training beyond high school. No one expects a medical student to master brain surgery overnight.
Yet we sometimes expect our personal dreams and spiritual journeys to unfold immediately.
I see this same impatience in my fifth-grade math classroom.
Some students, especially those accustomed to learning quickly, become frustrated when they cannot immediately understand a concept such as converting mixed numbers into improper fractions.
"I don't get it!" they declare after the first attempt.
I remind them that learning takes practice. Sometimes it takes ten attempts before something finally clicks.
And when they eventually master the concept, they discover something valuable:
Struggling did not mean they were incapable. It meant they were learning.
Perhaps we adults need to remember that lesson ourselves.
Faith Requires Balance
I believe we need a more balanced understanding of faith.
There is nothing wrong with praying for relief, seeking medical treatment, pursuing our dreams, or desiring a comfortable life.
But we should not interpret every delay as spiritual opposition, every struggle as personal failure, or every uncomfortable season as evidence that God has abandoned us.
Sometimes the answer to prayer involves acquiring knowledge, developing skills, seeking assistance, or persevering through an uncomfortable process.
We can trust God while also accepting that meaningful growth often requires time and effort.
After all, the same God who created mountains also gave human beings the remarkable ability to learn, adapt, discover, and overcome.
God doesn't always move the mountain. Sometimes we have to climb it. And perhaps the climb is where we discover what we are capable of becoming.
No comments:
Post a Comment